What are Home Salvage Auctions, PowerHouses, and Leftovers, and how do they work?
- Click here for Home Salvage Auction procedures
- Click here for PowerHouse procedures
- Click here for Leftovers information
What are Murco's Terms of Sale?
- Click here to view the rules...aka Murco's Terms of Sale
I've never been to a Murco auction, what are they like?
- They're not your average shopping experience, that's for darn sure! If you're unfamiliar with the concept of demolition salvage auctions, check out this video from our show, Total Wrecklamation, for a visual overview!
Information for Buyers...
What do I need to bring to an auction?
- Aside from a positive attitude and coffee and doughnuts for the Murco Staff (kidding), you should bring your measurements (so you know what will work in your home), cash (so you can pay for your items), and tools (so you can remove your new-to-you materials). Also wouldn't be a bad idea to recruit some friends to help you remove and haul your purchases!
What forms of payment are accepted?
- Cold hard cash, baby. No checks, no credit cards, no first borns.
Who removes my purchases?
- You do, hot stuff! That's why they're cheap! Sometimes we have items that are already removed or will be removed for you, but in most cases you'll be the one responsible for extracting your purchases from the home. If that doesn't sound like your cup of tea, we can help you find someone to do the dirty work for you. For removal tips, click here.
Will I be able to see the auction materials in person before bidding?
- For auctions, no. We post all the details and pictures we have on the website for you to check out beforehand, and on day of the sale there is at least a 1/2 hr preview before the auction begins where you can get up close and personal with all the materials. PowerHouse and Leftover items can usually be seen by appointment only.
Where are the auctions and sales held?
- We operate throughout Chicago and the surrounding suburbs, wherever the materials are located. If you're not from around here and wish to participate, contact us for more information.
I want to bid on something but I can't make it to the auction. What can I do?
- Contact us prior to the day of the auction and let us know what you're interested in and what your bids are. We'll either bid up to your maximum on your behalf or give you a call you during the live auction so you can participate from afar.
What is a Buyer's Premium?
- Buyer's Premium is typical fixture at auction houses and is a percentage attached to each sale. It's similar to a sales tax...for example, if you purchase something for $100.00 and there is a 10% Buyer's Premium, your total owed is $110.00.
Where are the minimum prices for auction items?
- Occasionally, we host a hybrid sale, in which we price materials beforehand that you can buy outright before auction. Or, we sometimes provide baseline prices for certain materials, and these baselines indicate the amount at which bidding will begin. However, in our traditional auctions, we do not disclose starting prices prior to the auction. However, you can estimate that most items will start at about 20% of the traditional retail value. Where it goes from there is up to the market!
What happens to materials that don't sell at auction?
- Unsold auction items will be posted in the Leftover section of Murco.net following each auction. Leftover items are sold first come, first serve, and they don't last long!
Where can I see everything available for sale?
- All the materials we have are part of an Upcoming Auction or PowerHouse Project, or they are Leftovers from a previous auction. We do not store any materials or have items on-hand at any given time. If you're looking for something specific and don't see it right now, you can keep checking in with us or register to receive alerts when we post new materials and projects.
Information for Sellers (people with materials)...
I'm demolishing or renovating my home and am interested in having Murco hold an auction or sell my stuff. How do I get the ball rolling?
- Contact us! We'll ask you for the following info:
- Property address
- Estimated date of demolition or remodel
- Highlights of some of the available materials
If we have the market for the materials you have, we'll schedule an appointment to come out, take inventory and photos, and get the process going. If we determine that we're not your best option, we'll tell you so, and then help you explore other options for your materials.
Does Murco buy my materials outright?
- No, we don't purchase your materials-- our buyers do! As brokers we facilitate the exchange of goods from your home to another, essentially "re-addressing" your material, so you get paid once we sell make the sale.
I can't open the photo slideshows. What do I do?
- Check your browser pop-up settings. If that still doesn't work, you can try clicking the alternative links under the slideshow thumbnail to go directly to the full album. At any given time you can view all of our photo albums by visiting http://picasaweb.google.com/murcorecycling.
I forgot my username and/or password to my Murco.net account. What do I do?
- Email [email protected] and we'd be happy to help!
I accidentally unsubscribed from the newsletters. How can I subscribe again?
- It's easy, just log in to your account and click on the "Subscribe" button under your email subscription settings.
Odds and ends...
Is Murco hiring?
- We're always accepting applications for enthused, motivated individuals to join our Weekend Warrior auction team. And anyone can Scout for us by finding our next auction, if you tip us off to the home we'll give you $100! Click here for more info about Weekend Warriors and scouting.
I have a fundraiser, charity event, or other function that needs an auctioneer. Does Jodi do these types of auctions?
- Funny you should ask... why yes she does! Jodi does occasionally trade in her work boots for ball gowns, auctioning for events for organizations like the Chicago MDA, Metropolitan Club Chicago, Friends for the Cure, Girls on the Run, Salt Creek Ballet, and other private events. Email Jodi Murphy directly at [email protected] for auctioneer inquiries.
What happened to Total Wrecklamation? I loved that show!
- According to several sources, you can still catch episodes of Jodi and Total Wrecklamation on select Continental flights (talk about a captive audience!)and in the UK, but we're no longer filming. But you can still catch the fun of the show at our auctions... cameras or not, we're still doing our thing!
What's with the funny names on the newsletters? Who are these people?
- Back in the day when we were snail-mail based, subscribers would receive auction flyers with colorful characters like Hope & Seymour Ovyah and Aunt Zinyerpants as the return recipients. We used to do it to see if people were paying attention... but we continue it because it amuses us (and hopefully our readers!).
What vitamins does Jodi take?
- This is actually one of the most common questions! Anybody who's seen Jodi in action knows the gal's got energy...and they want to know what makes her so feisty so early in the morning. No vitamins or 5 Hour Energies here, her perk is 100% natural! If they could bottle it, it'd probably be illegal.